Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Charter airline in Dominican Republic to start flying in '08

  1. #1
    CLF Navigator MD11F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    27,993

    Charter airline in Dominican Republic to start flying in '08

    From Travel Weekly
    06/01/2007

    By Gay Nagle Myers

    Air Dominicana, a charter airline in the Dominican Republic in which the Dominican government is a minority partner, was established in early May with headquarters in Santo Domingo, according to Felix Jimenez, minister of tourism.

    The carrier is expected to launch 737-800 service to and from the East Coast of the U.S. from its hub in Punta Cana in April 2008. Future routes will include intra-Caribbean flights as well as service to Central America.

    A second 737 will be added in June 2008, and a 767-300 in October 2008.

    A Web site, at airdominicana.com, is under construction.

    To contact reporter Gay Nagle Myers, send e-mail to gmyers@travelweekly.com.

  2. #2
    Almighty Cruiser canarymoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    RCL pier: 12 min
    Posts
    58,028
    This may be good news for those looking to book a cruise departing out of the DR!

    More choices are always good.!

  3. #3
    CLF Navigator MD11F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    27,993
    Quote Originally Posted by canarymoon View Post
    This may be good news for those looking to book a cruise departing out of the DR!

    More choices are always good.!
    Sheila, there's a huge push to enhance tourism to the Dominican Republic, the La Romana, Casa de Campo, Altos de Chavon, Punta Cana, and other areas for US tourists. The plan is to build some more resorts and promote the country. Casa de Campo has an extremely nice Resort with a Marina.
    The Carnival Destiny will be calling in La Romana/Casa de Campo port and will be there for two days, (guests will overnight onboard). The reason for the ship spending two days is for tours to Santo Domingo, which is a 2 hr drive each way from the pier in La Romana. That way, you spend a day in the Capital(Santo Domingo), and another in the La Romana area. Costa will continue to call there as well as others.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails casa-de-campo-dom.-rep.-march-22nd-2007.jpg  
    Last edited by MD11F; 06-06-2007 at 09:17 PM.

  4. #4
    Almighty Cruiser canarymoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    RCL pier: 12 min
    Posts
    58,028
    Interesting about the overnighter, Ken... that's so rare in the Caribbean. I'd really like to see the cruiselines do just a little more of that. Though, I think a lot might be too much of a good thing. What do you think?

    Of course, I'd be in heaven if one of the lines did an overnighter at Roatan. That way, there could be extended trips to Utilla, and the mainland, as well as some VERY interesting dive destinations that could be added.
    (Of course, I have my own motives, as well... hehe)

  5. #5
    CLF Navigator MD11F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    27,993
    Quote Originally Posted by canarymoon View Post
    Interesting about the overnighter, Ken... that's so rare in the Caribbean. I'd really like to see the cruiselines do just a little more of that. Though, I think a lot might be too much of a good thing. What do you think?

    Of course, I'd be in heaven if one of the lines did an overnighter at Roatan. That way, there could be extended trips to Utilla, and the mainland, as well as some VERY interesting dive destinations that could be added.
    (Of course, I have my own motives, as well... hehe)
    In regards to "a lot might be too much of a good thing" it depends. In the case of the Dom. Rep. the distance to the Capital and the important historical signifigance of Santo Domingo is a factor. As for Roatan, your idea sounds good, but I don't think the cruise lines see it that way with Roatan, or maybe no one has put it that way to them.
    Btw, the first sailing with La Romana on the Carnival Destiny's itinerary is January 6th, 2008. It's a port intensive cruise with no sea days:
    San Juan P.R
    St Thomas USVI
    Dominica
    Barbados
    St Kitts
    La Romana, Dom. Republic
    La Romana Dom. Republic
    San Juan P.R
    Last edited by MD11F; 06-08-2007 at 11:22 PM.

  6. #6
    Almighty Cruiser LuLu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    24,877
    Thanks for all of this information. We've never been to the Dominian Republic ... but hope to.

    Did you do this on a Costa Ship? Do you fly there sometimes?

    Once again, very much appreciate the info!
    LuLu ...
    Visit SOUTH CAROLINA!

    1/16/13 Emerald Princess (20 Days)

  7. #7
    CLF Navigator MD11F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    27,993
    Quote Originally Posted by LuLu View Post
    Thanks for all of this information. We've never been to the Dominian Republic ... but hope to.

    Did you do this on a Costa Ship? Do you fly there sometimes?

    Once again, very much appreciate the info!
    You're welcomed, LuLu.

    Yes, we were on the Costa Magica when we were in Casa de Campo. This is one of Costas' ports of call on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary.

    (Good lord, I have to check these areas more often).

  8. #8
    Almighty Cruiser canarymoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    RCL pier: 12 min
    Posts
    58,028
    Ken - since you keep up better than a lot of us on airline industry news...

    Any recent word on the new airline?
    Seems like a pretty risky business climate for startups in that particupar sector right now.

  9. #9
    CLF Navigator MD11F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    27,993
    Quote Originally Posted by canarymoon View Post
    Ken - since you keep up better than a lot of us on airline industry news...

    Any recent word on the new airline?
    Seems like a pretty risky business climate for startups in that particupar sector right now.
    Here's a picture of one of their aircraft, a B-737-300 leased from Air Europa in April. They will lease the two -300 models, as well as two newer, New Generation(NG) B- 737-800 models, one this month and the other in September this year. A B-767-300 jet will arrive in August. Flights began on May 14th 2008.
    The link below shows the destinations they will serve:

    Air Dominicana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

    Their website is still under construction.


    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails air-dominicana-b-737-33a-1.jpg  
    Last edited by MD11F; 06-07-2008 at 03:34 AM.

  10. #10
    Almighty Cruiser canarymoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    RCL pier: 12 min
    Posts
    58,028
    That's a good looking plane.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •