Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Freeport Bahamas

  1. #1
    Pro-Cruiser Luckyroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    East Bruns. NJ
    Posts
    877

    Freeport Bahamas

    What is there to do in Freeport Bahamas? We're scheduled for a full day there on our upcoming NCL cruise, and I cannot find anything on the web.

    I'd be happy with a nice beach with chairs for rent and maybe an umbrella and snackbar.

    So, tell me whats there?
    Ruth
    email me here

  2. #2
    Newbie Poster
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1
    Here's a little info:

    Travelers to Freeport on Grand Bahama Island will find that it's not as glamorous as Nassau, but is much more urban. The unusual part about landing at Freeport is that the cruise ship deposits you away from activities and attractions. A $10(USD) taxi trip for two takes you to Freeport. A branch of the Grand Bahama Tourist Board is near the docks to answer your questions.

    From: Bahamas Cruises | bahamas-guide.info

  3. #3
    Super Cruiser Georgia girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Peach State
    Posts
    3,887
    we didn't do a shore excursion but there's a shopping area right where you get off the ship if you like buying t-shirts that sort of things I took this of my friends while we were there.
    Last edited by Georgia girl; 11-28-2006 at 05:45 PM.

  4. #4
    Almighty Cruiser jsme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    9,072
    You can buy a 6 pack of Kalik and take it back for immeidate cosumpation on Carnival. We have friends who put this to the test when we were there last.
    Friend of Bill UU

  5. #5
    Dry-Docked
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckyroot View Post
    What is there to do in Freeport Bahamas? We're scheduled for a full day there on our upcoming NCL cruise, and I cannot find anything on the web.

    I'd be happy with a nice beach with chairs for rent and maybe an umbrella and snackbar.

    So, tell me whats there?

    Ruth: I have been to Freeport many times over the past 25 years and until about 5 years ago, there was much to do there. Unfortunately one of the largest attractions there, the old Princess Hotel and Casino, was sold and then closed and there is not a great deal to do in Freeport. This closing had a huge impact on the economy of Grand Bahama.

    If you want a beach day, check with the Westin and/or Sheraton at Port Lucaya--they sometimes offer day passes and their facilities are about the best on the island. Some cruise ship passengers go to Taino Beach but I have never been a fan of it--somewhat desolate and you must make arrangements with taxi driver to be picked up since it is in the middle of nowhere.

    There are shops and restaurants at Port Lucaya--some of the restaurants are great for lunch(my favorite is the little Greek place) but the shops are just your typical touristy things. There is a Columbian Emeralds and I have managed to get a few good deals there over the years.

    Bottom line is that if you want a nice beach with bathrooms, food, etc, I would check with the hotels I mentioned.

    Hope this is helpful,
    Bettie
    Last edited by HRHugeness; 10-22-2007 at 12:00 AM.

  6. #6
    Almighty Cruiser jemingway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ft Lauderdale
    Posts
    5,916
    There are plenty of nice beaches, plus a casino and many good restaurants and dozens of watering holes.
    JV The 4 stages of cruising: planning, anticipation, experience and reflection.

    Coming up: Celebrity Millennium Wine Cruise(9/17/10), Celebrity Century(1/15/11) and Celebrity Eclipse Italian Mediterranean(7/2/11)

  7. #7
    Casual Cruiser
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    61
    local food. I am such a foodie. Where is the bes tplace to eat like the locals in Freeport?

  8. #8
    Almighty Cruiser jsme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    9,072

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by HRHugeness View Post
    Ruth: I have been to Freeport many times over the past 25 years and until about 5 years ago, there was much to do there. Unfortunately one of the largest attractions there, the old Princess Hotel and Casino, was sold and then closed and there is not a great deal to do in Freeport. This closing had a huge impact on the economy of Grand Bahama.

    If you want a beach day, check with the Westin and/or Sheraton at Port Lucaya--they sometimes offer day passes and their facilities are about the best on the island. Some cruise ship passengers go to Taino Beach but I have never been a fan of it--somewhat desolate and you must make arrangements with taxi driver to be picked up since it is in the middle of nowhere.

    There are shops and restaurants at Port Lucaya--some of the restaurants are great for lunch(my favorite is the little Greek place) but the shops are just your typical touristy things. There is a Columbian Emeralds and I have managed to get a few good deals there over the years.

    Bottom line is that if you want a nice beach with bathrooms, food, etc, I would check with the hotels I mentioned.

    Hope this is helpful,
    Bettie

    We have stayed at the Princess Hotel and loved it. I was surprised that it was closed. I also did not realize that this one hotel that was not even beach front would have that much of a impact. I am not saying I do not believe it because I d. I am just saying that my thought process never went that way. Grand Bahamas is so different and not touristy at all.
    Friend of Bill UU

  9. #9
    Almighty Cruiser jsme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    9,072
    Quote Originally Posted by sixgun8 View Post
    local food. I am such a foodie. Where is the bes tplace to eat like the locals in Freeport?

    I am not sure of the places to eat because the 2 times we have stay were all inclusive resorts.

    I know where to get a good Painkiller. Oh I will have to go buy for one while in Freeport.
    Friend of Bill UU

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •